Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Ed Diana <eld_at_vicon.net>
Date: 1996/07/19

Michael D. Kersey wrote:
- Ed Diana wrote:

  • > I've done my own little survey, though. I've worked with PB for
  • > about 2 years, and Delphi since it came out. In that time, the Powerbuilder
  • > development environment has GPF'd over *700* times (yes, I keep track
  • > of each one). The Delphi environment has GPF'd *TWICE*. And, I might
  • > add, each of those times Delphi 'captured' the GPF and ignored it - preventing
  • > any loss of my work. IMHO, case closed. Of course, programmers
  • > are welcome to use whatever system they prefer (that's why there's
  • > chocolate and vanilla) - but I know my tool of choice.
    -
  • Hi Ed,
    -
  • Since you went to the trouble of capturing all those GPF's, I hereby challenge you you
  • to publish the log you kept along with the notes of what you were doing when these
  • GPF's occurred. You did keep it in machine-readable form, didn't you? We'll probably >
  • be able to tell by your log if this claim has any veracity.

   I've scanned in the log files, and will place it on-line ASAP. URL    to be announced. Perhaps I'll start a PB gripe page...anyone interested?

  • To get to the point, I'm tired of hearing people who are not familiar with PB complain

   I'm less familiar with VB and Delphi. Why dont those systems crash on me    more often than PB?

  • about "multiple GPF's with PowerBuilder". This is an old fisherman's/fishwive's rumour
  • that began years ago. If a PB programmer takes care to regenerate objects at the
  • appropriate time, carefully implements any Window API calls, regularly checks his > >
  • for viruses and doesn't disable the compiler warning in his/her new software
  • development, then GPF's are nonexistent in the PB environment. It should be the same

   Most of the GPF's I get from PB are in the Development environment.    For example, about a dozen times so far in PB5, the system GPF'd when    I pressed 'ctrl-l' or 'back' when in the function painter - wiping out    my work. How can I prevent these?

  • Michael D. Kersey