Re: ER Diagram Tools?

From: Claude Williamson <cwilliamson_at_lgc.com>
Date: 1996/07/19

Walt Egan wrote:
>Hello, does anyone have any suggestions for an ER diagram tool? I am
>currently considering using ERWIN. Has anyone used this tool?

Have used both ERwin and Oracle (Designer*2000 as well as previous version 6?). For quick data modelling ERwin is a quicker and better tool with
- a significantly better diagramming interface - Oracle tends to automatically redraw everything at it's discretion - very annoying and very slow to generate decent diagrams.
- no need to attach to master Oracle database - consequently able to load on portable and take to a client's office - very convenient. Though to do serious work both products require a large monitor (I use 21" monitor at office, portable plugs in through docking station, IBM P90 with 40m RAM and 1.2 Gig hard-drive). - re-engineering from DDL and DDL generation works well and very fast (5 to 10 mintutes) compared to CaseDesigner (2 to 3 hours). - installation is fast and simple (used under Win 95). Used Oracle CaseDesigner under WIn95 also - installation ok but much slower and stuff happens to other applications in your environment. - support okay - Oracle support contrary to some opinion is good, there is also a better cyber community for support with Oracle but so far I haven't needed it with ERwin.
- Prefer Oracle modelling conventions showing sub-types, relational optionality, etc however this does not outweigh the disadvantages.

My models tend to run 100 - 500 entities. Costs are the same (high) but ERwin better meets my needs.

Claude

My views only, Standard disclaimers

Questions for the group: I do a lot of migration between data models. Has anyone used a tool that allows you to map entities / attributes between models and develop migration scripts.

Am using spreadsheets to map between different models - very labour intensive. Any ideas would be useful.
Thanks Received on Fri Jul 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message