Re: Career Changer Needs Advice

From: Mark Bolzern <mark_at_gcs.com>
Date: 1996/07/19

In article <31EA8A4C.15E3_at_worldnet.att.net>, Donald Harvey <dharvey_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>My name is Don Harvey and I have worked in the environmental field
>(Consulting/Regulatory) for nearly 12 years. I have a BS in physics and
>advanced degrees in environmental engineering and hydrology. I now live
>in the Boston area.
>
>As I have enjoyed working with computers for the last 10 years and have
>done some programming (FORTRAN & BASIC) in the past and enjoyed it, I am
>considering a change to a career in programming. I have identified
>three possible paths via academic institutions teaching "Computer
>Certificate" programs.
>
>C/C++/Windows
>
>The first is C/C++/Windows Development(VC++ & MFC) offered by Boston
>University and Clark University. These are intensive, handson courses
>running 35-40 hours per week for 20 to 22 weeks. Cost: roughly $9K.
>
>C/C++/UNIX
>
>The second is a C/C++/UNIX course offered by Worcester Polytechnical
>Institute. Likewise, this is an intensive, hands-on course running 35-40
>hours per week for about 8 weeks. Cost $5.5K.
>
>Client/Server Application Development
>
>The third is Client/Server application development using Visual Basic,
>Oracle, SQL, Powerbuilder, and MS Access. This course is offered by both
>Boston University and Clark University. These also are intensive, hands
>on courses but only run 10 weeks. Cost roughly $4.5K.
>
>Ultimately I would like a solid background in programming for today's
>market as well as the next ten years or more. I would like to know
>C++/MFC to help with Windows program development but is it worth it to
>take the course now or is it likely that I can pick it up after getting a
>job in client/server application development? What would my job
>prospects be as someone coming from a technical field with considerable
>computer but limited programming experience?
>
>I do not know if this is the proper USENET group to ask such questions.
>If this is the case, please let me know if there are others or if there
>is a better one.
>
>Thanking you in advance. Your prompt responses will be appreciated.
>
>Don Harvey
>dharvey_at_worldnet.att.net

I would recommend that you get yourself a copy of Linux for under $100 from one of many sources, and play with it for a good long time before you pay the kind of $ that you have mentioned above for classes.

You'll find out if you like technology & programming, it comes with a number of languages including C, C++, Fortran, Basic and more. You will learn about Unix, and how operating systems work, and are built.. then when you feel ready, you will be able to breeze through courses for whichever degree program you choose. In fact you may find your services so in demand if you are any good, that not haveing a degree won't even matter.

Mark

--
        Mark Bolzern :  mark_at_wgs.com    WorkGroup Solutions, Inc.
          Try WGS Linux Pro, WebKit, and FlagShip, You'll lovem