Re: a comparison of different databases

From: Martyn Jones <martyn1>
Date: 1996/07/19

In article <cmarkle.837473603_at_abu.bio.uci.edu>, cmarkle_at_abu.bio.uci.edu (Chris Markle) says:

>Darin Brown <drbrown_at_one.net> writes:
>
>>Chris Markle wrote:
>>>
>>> the most telling aspect of Oracle, is the percentage of
>>> their revenue that comes from sales of DB packages vs
>>> the percentage that comes from consulting business.
>>>
>>> last time I heard (admittedly a couple of years ago)
>>> it was 40/60. it might be even more skewed by now.

>>Actually, Oracle does $4 billion in revenue and only about $400 million
>>comes from consulting (results from fiscal 96).
>
> thanks for the correction. sorry for the noise, et als

I believe that it is Oracle policy to hold down the percentage revenue fom Consulting to around the 20% mark.

I wonder how this policy will work out with Data Warehouse projects where Consultancy forms the biggest slice of the enchilada.

Martyn Jones
Iniciativa para Data Warehouse
San Lorenzo de El Escorial Received on Fri Jul 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message