Re: Function Results

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_infosoft.be>
Date: 1996/07/18

In article <31EBCB9B.6662_at_ibm.net>, Tom Gerahty (tg19905_at_glaxo.com) says...

>We have created a function that returns varchar string.
>The function works fine except it returns a 2000 byte
>string regardless of the length of the result. Is there a
>way to influence the lenght of the output? Doc says the
>return length cannot be provided because system determines
>it. Any thoughts? Has anyone come up with a creative
>get-around? Thanks in advance.
>
>Tom Gerahty
>Glaxo Wellcome
>gerahty_at_ibm.net

Would you be using Forms 3 to call the function? In that case, yes there is a limit for the sake of Forms 3, once upon a time 2000 was the maximum length of a character column in the database, if I'm not mistaken. The limit is in the stored procedure that forms 3 uses to call stored procedures and functions.
One way to influence the maximum length of the returned varchar would be to influence Oracle to modify this coding. Let me know if this works.

--
Kind reGards
     \ /   |