Re: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...

From: Mike Morgan <morganm_at_ecst.csuchico.edu>
Date: 1996/07/18

In article <irvin-1807961343240001_at_butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>, Tim Irvin <irvin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com> wrote:

>We couldn't use 7.3.1 because it needs HP-UX 10. So we decided to stay
>with 7.2.3...but it needed Motif 1.2.4. We had Motif 1.2.0 installed
>(HP-UX 9.01, unpatched for Motif) and the Oracle consultant, working with
>the tech support over the phone, said we needed two HP patches to get
>us up to Motif 1.2.4.
>
>Well, those patches were gone and superseded by patches which incorporated
>Motif 1.2.5. So I downloaded and installed those...and the Motif Server
>Manager *still* won't compile. Oracle support still says that it needs
>1.2.4, and that 1.2.5 won't work. Neither our on-site contractor nor I
>believe that...but it won't compile just the same.

Believe them. I didn't belive them when they told me that Motif 1.2.5 was causing my problems, but after much brain bashing on why all my Oracle Motif apps were dumping core with mysterious X errors, I went back to Motif 1.2.4, relinked everything and haven't had a problem since.

Mike

Mike Morgan
morganm_at_ecst.csuchico.edu