Re: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...

From: Ed Bruce <bruce_at_ha.hac.com>
Date: 1996/07/18

Halina Monka wrote:

> Richard Lloyd wrote:

<snip>

> > So am I alone in the universe in actually installing Oracle all on my own ?
> > Do other sites call in an Oracle engineer at great expense to install it ?

<snip>

> Oracle is very complex and powerfull product, definetely not a child
> play. Get experienced Oracle DBA to install and configure Oracle
> suite for you.

It sounds to me that you are saying "yes" to the first poster's question. Yes, hire an Oracle engineer at great expense or schedule in enough time to become an Oracle expert yourself. Oracle's installation process is a joke. Oracle obviously doesn't do real quality control to prove that their product can be installed.

When I attempted to install Pro*Ada with 7.2.3 the installation script attempted to build an object library on the cdrom. I asked Oracle how they expected to write to a read-only device. Obviously I had to finish the installation manually.

But as others have posted, as long as Oracle is difficult to install and manage, I've got a good paying job. Take this as an opportunity to become an Oracle expert.

Ed Bruce
bruce_at_ha.hac.com Received on Thu Jul 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message