Re: Datatype LONG in Forms 4.5

From: Meredith Poor <Meredith.Poor_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil>
Date: 1996/07/18

Sylvie Perrault wrote:
> I have a database item LONG in a form. Our users would like to paste document in it. It works
> except that we seem to be limited to about 2000 characters.
> We have been having problems like this, except with Oracle 7.3. It is a problem Oracle plans to fix in an
upcoming release. Don't hold your breath.

You may be able to get a patch. I'm not familiar with the maintenance release numbers, but you may be able to find that on their web page. The correction is to the server, rather than to Forms 4.5.

In general, LONGs are a problem. We are having significant response time problems, but that may be due to tuning. If you are using them, or VARCHAR2s of any significant length (>255), expect continuing development and operational difficulties. Received on Thu Jul 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message