Re: DB privilege management utility wanted

From: David Trahan <dtrahan_at_tyler.ultranet.com>
Date: 1996/07/18

Look at Policy Manager from BrainTree at http://www.sqlsecure.com

>The utility needs to run in a Windows 3.1
>environment (although we *are* planning on
>upgrading to Win95 or NT in about 6 months),
>with an Oracle 7.1.6 server (running under
>Solaris). Ideally it would include the following
>features:

>1. Privileges can be maintained on a per user,
> per role or per object basis. A list of
> all users, roles and objects (grouped by schema)
> in the database would be available.

>2. On selecting a username, all system privileges,
> object privileges and roles that have been
> granted to that user would be displayed.
> These could be revoked or added to as required.

>3. On selecting a role, all system privileges,
> object privileges and other roles that have
> been granted to that role would be displayed.
> These could be revoked or added to as required.

>4. On selecting on object (eg a table), all
> privileges which have been granted on that
> object would be displayed, showing the grantee.
> Again, these could be revoked or atted to
> as required.

Policy Manager allows you to define policy rules for all aspects of Oracle security, for example "Only managers can select from the salary table". Rules can be evaluated for compliance and a list of violations are reported. Violations may be accepted as exceptions to the rule or repaired (revoke the access for example).

Policy Manager considers every possible access method, not just direct grants. For example, if a user has access to an object because of a direct grant, through an "any" privilege (ex: select any table), through a role, or through a cascaded role, Policy Manager will find each possible "access path" and report upon them. Policy Manager manages these aspects of Oracle security:

Privileges held by user or role
Roles held by user or role
Objects accesible by user or role
Authentication (passwords)
Tablespace accessibility
Initialization parameters (init.ora)
Auditing
Resource profiles

Contact Braintree at (617) 982-0200
or info_at_sqlsecure.com
Dave Trahan
dtrahan_at_ultranet.com Received on Thu Jul 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message