Re: ORA-12154

From: Campbell White <Preveal2_at_vni.net>
Date: 1996/07/17

Joe Trubisz wrote:

> Hi...
>
> We have a Oracle database running on a SunOS 7.1.3 system and we are trying to
> access it via Personal Oracle 7, via TCP and WIndows-95. We are using SQL*NET
> V2. When we try to start a sqlplus session, we get a ORA-12154 error which is
> not listed in any of the error codes. Can anyone help here????
>
> As an aside, someone heard that when you type in the host string at the
> sqlplus prompt, you should use TNS: rather than T:. Not that it makes a diff
> regarding the prior question, but is this true??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Joe

Dear Joe,

The following was message explanation was extracted from "Instant Messages" - a consolidated index of over 10,000 Oracle messages. More info available at http://www.revealnet.com

Regards,

Cam White
RevealNet, Inc.

   Oracle Product Document Library (C) Oracle Corporation   Manual: ORACLE NETWORK CODES Reference: A16263-1

 ORA-12154 TNS:Could not resolve service name

  Cause: The service name specified is not defined in the

          TNSNAMES.ORA file.

  Action: Make the following checks and correct the error:

  • Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper place and accessible. See the operating system specific manual for details on the required name and location.
  • Check to see that the service name exists in one of the TNSNAMES.ORA files and add it if necessary.
  • Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file. Particularly look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Any error in a TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See Chapter 4 in the SQL*Net Administrator's Guide. If possible regenerate the configuration files using the Oracle Network Manager.