Re: Rollback segments on the fly in 7.3.2

From: Michael E Corum <mecoru_at_ccmail.monsanto.com>
Date: 1996/07/17

In article <31ED0EEE.41C6_at_dsai.com>
Mark Schaefer <mschaefer_at_dsai.com> wrote:

snip

> What I'm wondering is if I can create a large (preferably unlimited)
> rollback segment and use it for my data loader, and then destroy it when
> I'm done. I know how to grab a rollback segment in my procedure, but in
> order to bring a rollback segment online, we need to take the database
> down.

snip...

Why would you need to take the database down? Just bring it online with the command:
ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT segment-name ONLINE and take it off again with:
ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT segment-name OFFLINE

You can probably even do this from within your PL/SQL code using one of the appropriate built-in packages in the /admin directory.

Mike Corum
Technical Consulting Team
COTE
Monsanto
(All opinions my own...)
mecoru_at_monsanto.com Received on Wed Jul 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message