Rollback Seg Needs Recovery

From: Fred Puhan <fjp_at_his.com>
Date: 1996/07/17

While performing some analysis on one of our development databases, I encountered a problem starting the instance when it was reported that
"Rollback Segment RB6 is undefined." I commented out the
ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS= line in my parameter file, brought the instance up and began some investigation.

When I queried the dba_rollback_segs, the status of segment RB6 reported
"NEEDS RECOVERY." However, when I attempted to take it offline, I was
informed that RB6 was not online. When I attempted to bring it online, I was told that I couldn't bring a rollback segment online that was already online.

So how does one recover a rollback segment? System performance appears not to be impacted; other rollback segments have "taken over" the duties of this disabled one, and I can add more if need be, but what do I do about a rollback segment that refuses to be repaired or removed?

| fjp_at_his.com ||| "If it sounds good, it IS good." -- Duke Ellington |