Re: V7: VMS or UNIX ?

From: Bruce Pihlamae <bpihlama_at_nla.gov.au>
Date: 1996/07/17

Jonathan Theodosiou wrote:

> Mine is the opposite situation, I cut my teeth on a Pyramid Unix box
> running Oracle V6 & Forms 3, and am now getting to grips with 'Open'
> (ha) VMS on a DEC Alpha, running V7 & Forms 4.0 / 4.5. I really don't
> think there is that much difference. There is one thing though: in
> Unix you change directory using cd nextdirectorydown. In VMS this
> translates to:
> set def [HIGHLEVELDIR.THISDIRECTORY.NEXTDIRECTORYDOWN]

"def" is short for default directory ie your current directory.

Nobody really uses the long form anymore, they all create aliases like "cd" ... oh gasp, that's a DOS command.

While you will find VMS more verbose it is very stable and from my 8 months with AIX I believe its a LOT more stable and Oracle itself was more robust because of that.

Have fun.

--
   T T T T T T T T        Bruce Pihlamae