Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Brien King <bking_at_primenet.com>
Date: 1996/07/16

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996 17:51:06 -0500, "Fred R." <farbodr_at_airmail.net> wrote:

>ray charbonneau wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>> ease of building and maintaining large Client/Server applications. Also,
>> industry acceptance of Delphi still seems to be in question. Delphi
>> still ranks way behing VB and Powerbuilder in installed sites.
>> [snip]
>Borland has sold 450,000 copies of Delphi since it's introduction in Feb of 1995.
>That puts it a head of PB and in the second place right after VB. Keep in mind that both VB and PB
>have been around much longer.
>
>My 2 cents...
>
>FredR.

I'll add my 2 cents.... I really don't believe any sales figures from companies like Borland, Micrsoft, etc... The reason is that they may sell 100,000 copies, but its to someone like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc... who may buy them in lots. So while Borland (or Microsoft, or whoever) claims to have sold X number of copies, how many of those copies are sitting on a shelf in some store waiting to be sold? I would be more interested in the number of people who have registered Delphi. However, this can be missleading as well, since I have registered 3 different copies of Delphi (1,x, 2.0 Developer, and 2.,0 C/S).

Like they say: There are lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

As for corporate acceptance, well its all a matter of perspective and who you talk to. I know of a lot of people personally (in several major coporations) who have switched to Delphi or are in the process. I also know several people that don't want to change because it would be too costly (legacy code, resources, etc...).

Brien King
bking_at_primenet.com Received on Tue Jul 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message