primary keys of varchar2

From: Brooke Besser <brobes_at_auto-trol.com>
Date: 1996/07/16

I need some advice on the merits of creating primary keys of type VARCHAR2. For example, I have a table that has a unique name that is VARCHAR2(20). I also have a numerical sequence in the table so as to not have to create an index on the name field. The question is, is this necessary? Are the indexes for a character field considerably slower (or slower at all) than an index created on an INTEGER field?

There is also the issue of inserting these long character strings all over the database as foreign keys.

I would appreciate comments from any experienced Oracle users. Received on Tue Jul 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message