SQL*Net V. 1.1.9.0.A and dynamic IP doesn't work

From: Bob <zaphod_at_mail.ameritel.net>
Date: 1996/07/16

Hello all!

I'm working on an application in AppWare that connects to a remote Oracle 7 DB. Right now all I have on the server is SQL*Net V1 so don't say "get version 2". What I'm wondering is: will version 1 work with dynamic IP addresses on a PC? It doesn't appear so from my end. Oddly enough, it works just fine on Macs, not PCs.

I have some customers who are running DEC Pathworks and the machine receives an IP address when it boots. From Windows, all normal TCP/IP applications seem to work but SQL*Net won't make a connection. I get errors ranging from "ORA-6136 Error during connection handshake" to "ORA-6120 TCP/IP Protocol adapter not loaded." All I installed on these machines was SQL*Net V1 and required support files. Is there some TSR I can run on these to fool SQL*Net? I've tried Windows 3.1, WFW, Win95, and WinNT -- some work, most don't.

On another note, in the office we're running Banyan Vines. Is there some adapter I need to run SQL*Net with Banyan IP? My Win95 machine (with static IP address) ran just fine. My WFW machine (dynamic IP) gives me the 6136 NETTCP error.

Any ideas? This is turning into a royal pain in the ASCII.

TIA, Bob J. Received on Tue Jul 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message