Re: Developer 2000 vs Delphi

From: Dave Macpherson <dave_at_fifthd.ca>
Date: 1996/07/16

>Developer Works better with Oracle :
>It uses automatic locking mechanism . no need for code .
>it Uses D.B. constraints . no need for code .
>It Uses the same language as the D.B. - Pl/Sql .
>It enables u to do application partitioning between client & Server .
>It uses some internal mechanisms for better preformance .(like rowid) .
>and U have an integrated CASE tool called designer2000 .

Maybe I'm missing something here, but:

  1. Automatic locking by the Oracle database happens regardless of the front-end tool...no need for code when using Delphi
  2. Database constraints are part of the database...no need for code when using Delphi
  3. PL/SQL can still be used to do the database-side stuff. Why would you want to use PL/SQL if you could use Delphi for the front-end?
  4. Application partitioning is a design issue. You can still do application partitioning using Delphi (they didn't call it Delphi Client/Server Suite for nothing). Stay tuned for some 3-tier partitioning news soon.
  5. Oracle internal processing is still going to be performed identically no matter what your front-end is. (That's why they call it INTERNAL). Delphi does not effect this at all
  6. Have you seen the code that Designer/2000 generates? Ugh. If you don't want to write your own code, I think that the application frameworks and/or class libraries/VCL's available for Delphi are a better way to leverage pre-written code. If you are interested in the database design tools in Des/2000, you can still use these tools for your Delphi apps. Designing databases are pretty much independent of the front-end tool also.

I don't mean to knock Developer/2000 (despite the tone of this message). It has it's place. Sometimes though, I wish that Oracle would just decide to concentrate on its strenghs (the RDBMS is the best there is) and leave the tools stuff to others who can do a better job. Received on Tue Jul 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message