Re: cross database joins

From: Dave Marcus <dmarcus_at_notes.cc.bellcore.com>
Date: 1996/07/16

In article <31E730CA.782E_at_quarks.idiscover.co.uk>, psx-info_at_quarks.idiscover.co.uk says...

>vance wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to have a join drawing from tables that are in two different
>> database on different machines in a TCP/IP network?
>
>Assuming that on either machine (or a third) you can create a database
>link to the other - then yes.
>
>...but be careful - I did something similar in Access to Oracle, mixing
>local and remote tables - the query ran like a dog.
>
>Its probably worth using cursors so you control what is accessed when.
>
>Regards,
>Chris

The reason they're dogs is because, oracle returns ALL of the data from the remote query into your local database first. Then it handles the where criteria. So if the remote table has for example 20000 rows, all 20,000 rows are returned into memory at the local site. Received on Tue Jul 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message