Re: Mirrored disks Vs duplexed logs

From: GAG <gagg_at_agt.net>
Date: 1996/07/16

In article <4sdrto$ss6_at_alpine.psnw.com>, jared_at_psnw.comß says...

>krader_at_crg8.sequent.com (Kurtis D. Rader) wrote:
>
>>Richard Flores <flores_at_ccnet.com> writes:

>>>What would you do where you were not multiplexing from within
>>>Oracle and inadvertently deleted one of the online redo log files?

>>Update my resume? What if you delete one of the tablespace data
>>files? What if you accidentally type "init 1" instead of "init q"?
>>What if....
>
>Deleting a tablespace data file is an error that can be recovered from
>without data loss.
>
>Deleting a unarchived non-mirrored redo log file _will_ result in
>data loss.
>
><snip>
>>--
>>Kurtis D. Rader, Senior Consultant krader_at_sequent.com (email)
>>Sequent Computer Systems +1 503/578-3714 (voice) +65 223-5116 (fax)
>>80 Robinson Road, #18-03 Currently on assignment in the
>>Singapore, 0106 Asia-Pacific region
>
>Jared Still, Oracle DBA
>RxNet, Division of Value Health
>"All opinions are mine, no one else wants them"
>jared_at_psnw.com

Deleting an unarchived unmirrored online redo log may result in unrecoverable data ( or complete database )loss. It depends on what the specific circumstances are.

If you have a COLD backup you can recover. If you have no cold backup you are in trouble. If the online redo log was the "current" one you are in trouble. Received on Tue Jul 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message