Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Rey Bango <rba_at_bridge.net>
Date: 1996/07/15

In article <31E631B4.203F_at_valstar.co.uk>, epg_at_valstar.co.uk says...

>Personally speaking I am working in a mixed PB / Delphi environment
>but we are about to make a decision to use a single tool and
>if that tool is PB (5 or not) I will be seeking a different
>employer.
>
>Euan Garden
>--
>[These opinions are my own and not those of my employer]

Euan,

I think that quitting your job because of a dev tool is the wrong thing to do. You should look at the whole project & determine what the overall opportunities are. My take is to learn as much as I can about the development process as opposed to the actual tool.

Remember, in every C/S project, you have the development side, the back-end (Sybase, Oracle, etc.), the OOP, the data modeling, middleware connectivity, etc.. These are the areas that you should be looking at and trying to exploit. If the only skill that you want to have is Delphi or PB or VB, then go ahead & leave. Otherwise, don't let a religious product war determine YOUR career path. Believe me, they'll be a better Delphi/PB someday but the overall skills are what you'll be able to apply all of the time.

Regards,

Rey Bango
Team Powersoft
Endeavor Development Group Received on Mon Jul 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message