Re: OS Authentication & SQL*Net

From: Frank Kobylanski <frank_kobylanski_at_purina-mills.com>
Date: 1996/07/15

sturner_at_athena.mit.edu (Stephen Turner) wrote:

>The SQL*Net book implies that an Oracle user can be set up to
>use OS authentication from a local login, but require a password
>from a SQL*Net connection. It doesn't gice the details on how to set
>this up though.

>Any suggestions?
>Thanks,
>Steve Turner

        What I have gathered from other posts and have been able to use successfully is, when you create a user, instead of specifying "identified externally", use "identified by xxxxx" with xxxxx being the password of your choice. I also have read that you need os_authent_prefix set to OPS$. We were already set up for this and I have not had the chance to verify.

        What this setup should give you is the ability to login local with "sqlplus /" and from a desktop with "sqlplus userid/password". If you have remote_os_authent=true in init.ora, you can login from a remote unix box with "sqlplus /_at_connect_string".

        There are other things you are supposed to be able to do (setting up oracle.ini with a default userid, etc.) but they are environment dependent.

HTH, Frank Kobylanski
frank_kobylanski_at_purina-mills.com Received on Mon Jul 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message