Re: which tool to implement this C-/S-Application?

From: Rene Bonvanie <rbonvani_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/15

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:51:48 -0300, "Francisco Piragibe" <piragibe_at_esquadro.com.br> wrote:

>> "Harald Mueller, TPMUL" <Harald.Mueller_at_ubs.ch> wrote in article
 <4rtlh0-3db_at_svstch.ubs.ch>...
>> hi,
>>
>> Situation:
>> ----------
>> I've got to design an application which has a Client(Windows 3.1)
>> and a Server (Unix, Oracle 7.2) part.
>>

>> Question:
>> ---------
>> 1. Is there a tool, which supports the whole design and implemetation
>> of the GUI on the Client and the stored procedures and database
>> on Server?
>>
>> 2. My i use VisualC++ for the Client or does it make sense to
>> use OracleForms? for that part?
>>
>JoƩ
>
>The whole of the recent client/ server tools can do what you want.
>Borland Delphi, Microsoft Visual basic, Oracle Power Objects or
>Developer/2000 can accomplish such tasks.
>
>If I were you, I'd go for a BASIC based tool, either ORACLE Power Objects
>or Microsoft Visual Basic, but this is a rather personal view. Delphi is
>based on compiled Pascal, which offers you the most impressive
>performance. Pascal, however, is not widely used outside universities, as
>far as I know; Developer/2000, despite of its very powerful tools, is a
>rather proprietary environment, and I suspect ORACLE will gradually shift
>its mainstream development environment product line towards POWER OBJECTS
>(this product's new version, 2.0, offers entirely new capabilities,
>whereas Developer/2000 has received only minor adds over the past year).
>
>All the same, you should be well off. There are plenty of choices
>nowadays.
>
>--
>Francisco C. P. de Almeida
>consultant
>tel: 55-21-2332691
>fax: 55-21-2537390

The one product that is not mentioned in this discussion is Oracle Designer/2000 which to my opinion is key to Oracle based applications development. It is capable of Universal Design, which in fact means that it is able to generate both Developer/2000 as well as VB4 applications from the same design, as well as the entire database scheme, with tight integration between the application and the database, something that would e.g. take a VB professional a long time to build. But not only does it generate D2000 and VB4, it also generates C++ layers to the database and HTML-based Web applications. Soon it will be able to generate Power Objects based applications. This makes Designer/2000 a unique product in the industry that should be considered in every serious development effort.

Rene
====*

Rene Bonvanie       | rbonvani_at_us.oracle.com | La competence sans autorite
Oracle Corporation  |                        |  est aussi impuissante que
500 Oracle Parkway  |  Tel. +1 415 506 2625  | l'autorite sans competence.
Mailstop 659207     |  Fax. +1 415 506 7414  |
Redwood Shores      |                        |      - Gustave Le Bon
CA 94065, USA       |  Off. 200 OP Room 714  |

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Mon Jul 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message