Re: Developer 2000 vs Delphi

From: Mike Taylor <mtaylor_at_prolog.net>
Date: 1996/07/14

In article <4s3uu8$uko_at_useneta1.news.prodigy.com>, VZKX24A_at_prodigy.com says...

>Could someone give me some feedback on the pros and cons of using
>Developer 2000 over Delphi. Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Pros of Dev/2000: Better Oracle integration, somewhat easier to use. Great for boring screen-driven applications. Object navigator is very nice way to organize program.

Cons: Stability is not good, flexibility is not there, Slow execution with large memory requirements. Few, if any, 3rd party add-ons work with Forms. HORRIBLE with any non-Oracle databases (if an issue for you).

Delphi Pros: Speed of execution (actually compiled code)

             Wealth of 3rd party support (OCX's, native components, etc)
             Works with many back-ends.
             Faster Oracle access then Dev/2000 (as per Info world review)
             Extensible (Object oriented programming language)
Delphi Cons: Health of Borland, support.
             Not as easy as Dev/2000 to integrate with Oracle
             Bigger learning curve (object oriented programming language).

My opinion having used both though I haven't done much Oracle with Delphi yet. Have fun and there are no shortages of opinions! Received on Sun Jul 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message