Re: 2nd RFD: comp.databases.oracle reorganization

From: RValstar <rvalstar_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/07/14

Am I the only one that thinks we missed the boat here? In the Clent/Server world, we have front-end, middle-ware (connectivity), and back-end products. Why not organize the newsgroup that way?

Looking at the traffic in the current newsgroup, I would suggest the following (mostly based on how often I hit <del> depending on the topic I am concerned with):

Put all SQL*Net, ODBC, and OLE postings in a new 'connectivity' group. Under the RFD reorg, wouldn't these plug up the 'dba' group?

Put SQL*Forms, OPO, FrontEnd2000, etc. in there own Oracle-only 'front-end' group. Placing these with tools used primarily for server (dba) and third party app dev functions makes it difficult for the non-Forms crowd to filter out the noise.

Create a new 'compare/contrast' group for all the newbie activity concerning Oracle vs. Sybase, MS SQLServer, Informix, DB2, ... as well as the Delphi vs. Oracle and the ODBC vs. Oracle threads. :-(

Of all the newsgroups I subscribe to, this one has the lowest value to traffic ratio for me (my <del> finger has a callus) as too many disparate topics are covered under one umbrella (thus the RFD reorg - duh). Let's make sure we reorg this thing so I'm happy. :-) Received on Sun Jul 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message