Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: baylor wetzel <bwetzel_at_ducttape.uhc.com>
Date: 1996/07/13

: How exactly the case gets closed when you compare a few high rate PB
: jobs to two Delphi jobs where no rate was listed evades me.

rates have nothing to do with the quality of the tool, nor does sales (or should we go back into the microsoft discussions)

: of each one). The Delphi environment has GPF'd *TWICE*. And, I might
: add, each of those times Delphi 'captured' the GPF and ignored it -
: any loss of my work. IMHO, case closed. Of course, programmers

I've had delphi act goofy many times, although never to the extent of PB. And that's important, but i've never had an awk app crash on me - that hardly means everything i'll write in the future will be in awk

: are welcome to use whatever system they prefer (that's why there's
: chocolate and vanilla) - but I know my tool of choice.

this has always confused me - what is the point of the tool of choice? I have lexx/yacc/awk parsers, delphi components, pb database front ends, C dce servers, cobol batch processes, vb games, quickapp screen scrapers, c protocol analyzers, etc

a friend from unisys once said that when all you have is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail...

me - i prefer desiging. I'm forced to learn certain things, but they are more medical claims processing, 403b variable annuities and snmp and icmp analysis. A programming language is a programming language - i'll use whichever one's available or appropriate or my company says i gotta use. Sorry, i guess i just don't see what's so exciting about a given language.

Sorta reminds me of the novelists that loved talking about their favorite verbs more than actually creating a story

  • baylor

bwetzel_at_uhc.com   baylor wetzel   BORN consultant for...
United HealthCare - International Information Systems
disclaimer : My opinions are not those of the company