Re: Forms Version Control?

From: Stefan Ey <adder_at_ping.at>
Date: 1996/07/13

Douglas Scott <dsscott_at_neosoft.com> wrote:

>We have an in house created program that stores information about a form
>such as who is currently working on it, status (beta or production),
>etc. This program runs on a VAX, but we're converting to Developer 2000
>on PCs and Macintoshes and don't know what to do about controlling the
>application versions.
>
>What is everyone doing about controlling application versions within
>Developer 2000 (especially in mixed platform environments)?
>

>Douglas Scott

If you are able to copy the FMB-File to VMS, you could use DEC's CMS (Code Management Service)-Utility. With CMS you can reserve a file, so that nobody else may change it while your are working on that file. After you have done your changes, the file is replaced creating a new 'generation' of the file in CMS-Library. CMS allows you to retrieve previous generations (=versions) of your file, so that you may correct a bug in an older version of your file, even if the file has been extended in the meantime.
To keep track of the various versions of your application containing
>1 form, you may group generations to 'classes' representing a version
(for instance beta/production) of your application. CMS is also available on PCs (where it is called WinCMS), but I don't know, whether Macintosh-Versions exist.

Stefan Ey Received on Sat Jul 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message