Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Rik Brooks <rbrooks_at_pics.com>
Date: 1996/07/12

Rune Moberg wrote:

> In article <31DF5018.276B_at_hal-pc.org>,
> "Michael D. Kersey" <mdkersey_at_hal-pc.org> wrote:
> >f) My favorite: The article makes much ado about the Delphi "try" statement. Delphi has
> >been desperately "trying" to sell Delphi with this cure-all for years now. Here's some
> >code for you:
>
> Delphi is one and a half years old and is selling pretty good. Wanna compare
> sales figures with <giggle> "Power" Builder which has been available for,
> what, five years?
>
> >OK! That's all! I give up! It's really worth looking at mostly for laughs. For someone
> >to compile such a list really signals a desperate effort, I'm afraid. I don't know why
> >Borland would stoop so low. They must be in real trouble or have a very loose cannon
> >onboard their ship.
>
> And I'm very likely to belive that document. I attended a one day seminar
> at PowerSoft here in Norway last year (Delphi 1.0 had just been released),
> and quite frankly: What I saw there was close to garbage and couldn't hold
> a candle to the Delphi 1.0 preview *beta* that I had the pleasure of
> trying out. The compendium we followed to build a simple PB application
> (which took an awful lot of effort!) frequently stated "you should save now"
> and luckily we took that advice because PB did indeed crash often.
> I wonder if they hand out "Frequent Crasher" points?
>
> So, what I saw is hopefully not what you PB users are getting...
>
> >some years now. I always come away disappointed that the people attending are older than
> >me ( by about 10 years ), and I am no spring chicken! Every time someone asks a
> >question, someone else asks them to repeat it after they turn up their hearing aid. But
> >they're nice guys: they always have an ambulance waiting outside, in case someone gets
>
> Yeah, and we still manage to crank out faster, better and more powerful
> applications than PB developers!
>
> I'm 22, I doubt you'll find many PB users (I could stop the sentence here)
> younger than me.
>
> >All kidding aside, Folks, Delphi is probably an OK environment, but it's no PB killer!
>
> Technically it is. And the last time I checked, Delphi was way cheaper too,
> even including a subscription to Borland's Knowledge Base / support program!
>
> Remember: I can take my Delphi on the road, and make everything from
> a simple db app to the next Quake killer... Or even make a development
> tool with it (Delphi is made with Delphi). PB simply can't match that,
> just like it can't compete with Cindy Crawford in a dark room.
>
> --
> =\
> *=- R.Moberg, CD-Player Pro info _at_ http://www.sn.no/~mobergru/
> =/

I imagine that this thread will continue forever. If Delphi were wo much better then powerBuilder would see at the very least a slowing in their growth. But that is not the case. With the release of version 5 PB has experienced a surge of growth unlike any other that it has ever had.

The bottom line is this. Delphi and VB are both general purpose. PowerBuilder is tuned and optimized for Client Server. I work in Client Server, thank you.

Look at the rates for consultants in NYC. VB $50-80, Delphi (I only found two and no rates quoted), PB $95-130... (New York Times) Case Closed.

--
Rik Brooks
http://www.pics.com/byte/dojo.htm