Can't open recordset on Oracle 7.1 db using ODBC

From: Jonathan G Gennick <73733.1660_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1996/07/12

I really need some ODBC help. I am having trouble getting a VB 4.0 (16 bit) app to connect to an ODBC database and open a recordset. The connect is successful, I can create the querydef successfully, but I can't for the life of me create a snapshot. I've read and reread the manuals, the online help, and have tried various things all to no avail.

Here is my code:

   Dim BepDB As Database

'Query Definitions

    Dim GetProfile As QueryDef 'used at login     Dim UserProfile As Snapshot

'Open the database

    Set BepDB = OpenDatabase("BEP_IVR", False, False, _

        "ODBC; UID=bep_ivr; PWD=bep; LOGINTIMEOUT=30;")

'Set the default timeout for DB operations to 30 seconds
    BepDB.QueryTimeout = 30

'Create all the query objects

    Set GetProfile = BepDB.CreateQueryDef("", _

        "select opr_ivr_password,opr_ivr_prompt_level " _
        + "from opr_operator_person " _
        + "where opr_person_id=999999")

    Set UserProfile = GetProfile.OpenRecordset(dbOpenSnapshot, dbReadOnly)

when I execute the above code everything works fine until the last statement, which results in error code 3078. The error text that comes back is:

	Couldn't find input table or query
	'BEP.OPR_OPERATOR_PERSON'. [3078]

The table really does exist in the database. I have an ODBC monitoring tool (from Mercury Interactive) that shows the JET engine querying the remote Oracle database via ODBC and retrieving a list of all the table's columns and their datatypes and lengths. But that's where it stops and I get the error.

Further, I have an Oracle supplied "ODBC Test" tool that allows me to connect and execute the same query with no problems at all. So I think the problem must lie in the interface between the JET engine and ODBC.

I would really appreciate some help or insite on this because I seem to have pretty much "hit the wall" on it.

thanks,

Jonathan Gennick Received on Fri Jul 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message