Re: V7: VMS or UNIX ?

From: Jonathan Theodosiou <Jon-Theodosiou_at_psion.com>
Date: 1996/07/12

73733.1660_at_compuserve.com (Jonathan Gennick) wrote:

>>I'm an Oracle DBA, trained with a VMS platform-- I noticed that most people here
>>use Unix instead. I'd like to get your feedback (opinion, anecdotes, etc) on
>>which you think is the superior system and why. ...

>I have no opinions one way or the other as to which is better but I'm
>the same boat having done a lot with VMS and have just been thrown
>onto a project where I'm doing Oracle work on a Unix box. I feel like
>a neophyte again, stumbling around, getting commands wrong, etc<ggg>.

Mine is the opposite situation, I cut my teeth on a Pyramid Unix box running Oracle V6 & Forms 3, and am now getting to grips with 'Open' (ha) VMS on a DEC Alpha, running V7 & Forms 4.0 / 4.5. I really don't think there is that much difference. There is one thing though: in Unix you change directory using cd nextdirectorydown. In VMS this translates to:
set def [HIGHLEVELDIR.THISDIRECTORY.NEXTDIRECTORYDOWN] WHY? What is a def anyway? Received on Fri Jul 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message