Re: Performance info for Client/server

From: wslun <wslun_at_cs.cuhk.hk>
Date: 1996/07/12

Tony Brown (tb_at_arete.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: 1. How much of a PC do I need for 4.5 to run OK=20

  We have run Forms 4.5 on 486 DX (24MB RAM) and 586 (16MB RAM). We have=20 found that the performance is not very good for former one. Much time is=20 required in running. Anyway, it is tolerable and acceptable.

: 2. What is the difference in performance between direct connect (VT220)=
 =20
: and client server. Should we expect it to be better or worse.

  1. It depends on your network performance.
  2. It depends on your coding. If you always submit queries to server. It= =20 should get a poor performance when compare with direct connect. Try=20 to use stored procedures and some performance tuning for your SQL statement.
  3. It depends on the setting of your server. Many factors will affect=20 the performance such as MTS and the usage of performance tuning.

: 3. Is there any FAQ or similar relating to performance/sizing=20
: algorithms for estimating which target machines (s) will provide a=20
: comfortable performance.

     It heavily depends on your coding.

  If you've any enquiries, please feel free to email to me.

--
                                                               Best Regards=
,

Title         : Senior Advisor of Computer Solution Company, HK
Email address : sunny_at_hkpc.org / wslun_at_cs.cuhk.hk                          =
=20
Telephone     : (852)2758 5936 / (852)2788 5841                          =
=20