Re: Multi-Threaded Server

From: Bill Beaton <beatonb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/07/11

In article <4rui7j$1bv_at_news.inforamp.net>,

	rob.bezaire_at_canrem.com (Rob Bezaire) writes:

> We are running an Oracle 7.2 server on a DEC ALPHA 2100 in single
> We are experiencing frequent ORA-04031 errors which indicate that SGA
>private memory has been exhausted. There are only a handful of users on the
>system and the SGA size is set to 200M. Someone suggested using mutithreaded
>server configuration to solve this problem but I haven't read any
>documentation that confirms this. Does anyone have some advice?

When we had these problems last December & January with 7.2.2.2 thru 7.2.2.4, ORACLE had us do the following:

  1. Periodically (frequency depends on your shop's job mix) issue 'alter system flush shared pool;' We find that on our heavy use instance, we have to issue this entry every 8 minutes, to ensure that we have less than 1 4031 error every 45 days. We are a 7x24 shop.
  2. Pin ALL ORACLE procedures (like DIANA, etc) into the shared pool at instance startup.
  3. Eliminate ANY and ALL use of MTS.

These approaches work for us, but may not be appropriate for shops with a drastically different job mix &/or user base.

We are looking at the feasibility of upgrading to 7.3.2, because it appears that the 2 problems (memory leak in SGA, and MTS lockups) have been corrected.

Good luck,
Bill Received on Thu Jul 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message