Re: Help: Access 2.0 and Oracle7 problem

From: Vandra Huber <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 1996/07/11

lh_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> ENVIRONMENT:
>
> CLIENT:
> Windows 95
> MS Access 2.0
> ODBC: Oracle7 1.11.0.5, 1.11.1.5
>
> SERVER:
> SQL*Net SPX 1.1.8.0.0
> SQL*Net TCP/IP 1.1.9.0.0
>
> After user name and password, MS Access returns the following error:
>
> [Microsoft][ODBC DLL]Driver's SQLSetConnectOption
> failed(#0)[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver]Driver not capable.
> (#0)[Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI][ORA-12154:TNS:could not
> resolve database name. [#12154]
>
> The same set up works fine in Crystal Report in the same environment.
> Does Access 2.0 use anythign filter or engine ON TOP of Oracle ODBC
> driver, thus causing the problem?

There is a TCP/IP adapter that is needed. I assume that you are running it.

That version of the Oracle does not completely confirgure the various *.ora files.

In addition, I believe that you TCP/IP drive is pretty old. It may not be compatible with the ODBC driver. I know that you can use either SQLNET 1.0 or SQL*NET 2.x. I believe the current version of these drivers is 2.4 ??? (I have the values at work).

You should try to use SQL*PLUS. It should make the connection to the database with the appropriate user name, passward and server connection.

In addition, there should be an ODBC test.

If you write me at work, I can give you an example of the software. My address there is mkrolews_at_upw.com.

Hope this helps. Received on Thu Jul 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message