Re: ORA-07429 ..Any idea what my problem is?

From: Salahuddin Faruqui <BTJV84A_at_prodigy.com>
Date: 1996/07/11

>07429, 00000, "smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment."
>// *Cause: a shared memory segment used for all part of the SGA could
 not be
>// retrieved.
>// *Action: Use the system error number in the error message to
 determine why
>// the segment could not be retrieved. If it does not exists,
 shutdown
>// the database using the "abort" option, and then restart it.
>// If the get failed because the permissions are incorrect,
 make sure
>// that the ownership of the oracle executable is the same as
 that on
>// the shared memory segment.

Hi Stranger
The above could be for a variety of reasons: Are you starting up the instance? Permisisons and O/S kernel parameters might be the culprit. A running instance would encounter this if the O/S has lost a thread on this sh. memory seg. (are you using semaphores?) The associated O/S message would be helpful. You might find insteresting info. in the trace and log files.

-
Obaid A. Faruqi Received on Thu Jul 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message