Re: Oracle on MVS

From: Tim Payne <tpayne_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/10

George Mansoor wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could please share any information that you
> might have on running ORACLE on MVS. I've heard several different
> stories like
>
> Oracle on MVS performance is poor
> Oracle treats MVS as a "Tier II" platform (whatever that means) so
>
> new versions are released much later for MVS then other OSes
> Large database performance is a serious concern
>
> Does the above, if true, hold true for OS/390?
>
> Any info greatly appreciated.George,

sorry to learn that you've heard negative reports about our MVS product. The sources of these rumours are very hard to pin down and often relate to Oracle Version 5, our first MVS product. As with other platforms Oracle7 is highly optimised for MVS and we have plenty of MVS customers that can demonstrate that performance is not an issue.

We no longer use the tier system, but over the last 3 years every tape we've shipped on MVS has been within Tier I guidelines, not Tier II. This means that Oracle for MVS ships around the same time as other lead ports. For a leading-edge MVS product this is a significant achievement, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Oracle7 runs on OS/390 - it was certified by the time OS/390 R1 went G.A. We'll be certified on R2 when that goes G.A. The Oracle Web Server has been available on OS/390 for some time.

Not sure what you meant by 'Large database performance is a serious concern'. The MVS benchmark figures I've seen for decision support workloads on 7.3 suggest otherwise.

Please feel free to give me a ring, I'm more than happy to share that data with you. (+1) 415 506 2722 Received on Wed Jul 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message