Re: Opinions on Oracle Reports 2.5 ?

From: Mark Brady <brady.mark.md_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1996/07/10

In article <31E2E5FE.681A_at_iquest.net>, David Di Biaggio <dibiaggio_at_iquest.net> says:

>Ann Craven wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone out there using Oracle Reports ?
>>
>> We are currently comtemplating migrating from Oracle Report writer v1.1 and
>> would value opinions/advice from anyone who has already done this or who
>> perhaps decided to go with a third party reporting tool (if so which one !)
>> rather than use Oracle Reports.
>>
>> Thanks in anticipation
>>
>> Ann Craven
>
>I used 1.1 a long time ago and just finished up a project using 2.0/2.5.
>You'll be amazed at the improvements from 1.1, but if you're going to go
>with Reports don't even bother to look at 2.0....go straight to 2.5.
>I'd also suggest not "diving in" and learning on your own. Spend the
>money to get some training, it's well worth it. Reports has both its
>pluses and minuses, the biggest minus being if you need to make a major
>change to an existing report it's often easier to start over rather than
>change the existing one. For relatively simple, straight-forward
>reporting it's quite quick and easy to produce reports. As for 3rd
>party reporting tools, I've only had experience with some of the "end
>user" reporting tools, with which Reports cannot be compared as it's NOT
>an end-user tool.
>
>There's my 2 cents...good luck in your search!

I agree go straight to 2.5
A course will give you an insight into the many features that reports can now provide. Personally I am quite impressed with reports 2.5.

Mark Brady - Senior Computer Analyst
BHP Information Technology
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Telephone: 61 (49) 40-1638 Fax: 61 (49) 40-2165 e-mail: brady.mark.md_at_bhp.com.au Received on Wed Jul 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message