Re: MVS and large database

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corporation <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/09

Joel Garry (joelga_at_rossinc.com) wrote:
>In article <4r6d08$39d_at_news00.btx.dtag.de> willyk_at_t-online.de (Willy Klotz) writes:
>>For a new project I was discussing the db-requirments with a customer.
>>
>>They told me that they ORACLE on MVS, and it does perform
>>significantly slower compared to DB2. They want to do heavy online
>>actifity, in the range of over 200000 transactions per day.
>>
>>The database size is nearly a terrabyte.

>I read in Computerworld that TRW credit data gave up trying to figure out
>how to make Oracle do this.
>>
>>Anyone out there who can comment on this ? Are there really
>>significant problems with databases this size ?
>>
>>What database would you choose for such a environment ?
>>
>>Willy Klotz

Joel,

Unless I've missed something recently in Computerworld I think you are referring to events from years ago involving Oracle Version 6. That information is out of date with respect to current Oracle7 for MVS product capabilities.

Willy,

Assuming an average MVS mainframe and typical (OLTP) transaction characteristics, 200000 per day is easily attainable with Oracle7 for MVS. In fact, 200000 per 8-hour shift (that's about 7 tps) should not be a problem. Performance-wise, given the same data and SQL, we should be right in the ballpark with DB2/MVS (somewhat faster in some cases, somewhat slower in others). However, there are many things that you can do in Oracle SQL that are not possible with DB2/MVS. If your application can take advantage of these then Oracle might be quite a bit faster.

Also, there are Oracle customers with databases of 1T and more.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.