Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Bill Green[TeamPS] <green_william_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: 1996/07/09

Bryan Tonnet wrote:

> > >Michael Beck <michael.beck_at_daytonoh.ncr.com> wrote:

> > >But it's much slower than Delphi in accessing Oracle database - look at
> > >InfoWorld comparison from 6/17/96. Delphi was the fastest at that.

> > >Michael
>
> I hate to throw in a curve ball at this point, but has anyone compared these
> tools with Clarion? I've heard some things about them, and they claim (why
> would they not) to have the goods on both PB and Delphi.

We might as well throw in SQL Windows(Centura now), ObjectVision, Visual FoxPro and don't forget tools like Magic, Parts, VisualAge etc etc etc. There are literally dozens of tools out there, any of whom can make any particular claim, however most of the folks in this group prefer and support
PowerBuilder, mostly becuase it's the next best thing to sliced bread. I'm Delphi literate, and even with a VB and PowerBuilder background, I have to admit that Delphi took me easily twice as long to learn (to get to near the same level of knowledge - particularly of OO techniques and their usage). Delphi is very powerful. So is
PowerBuilder. So is VB. But the real difference between them is the people who use them.

--
+--------------------------------------------------
--------------+
|Castle Software      		| CIS:
 71203.1414_at_compuserve.com |
|Knowledge is a Quest 		|
bgCastle_at_mail.concentric.net	 |
|Co-Author: Powerbuilder 5 - Object-Oriented Design
 & Development|
|	McGraw-Hill, 0-07-024469-3, Available
September 1996	 |