Re: S-Designor

From: Glenn Burton <gburton_at_cbis.com>
Date: 1996/07/09

I'm using version 4.2.1 of the Enterprise version. Here goes...

: > Also, does this tool do any of the following?
: > . Schema version control.

Kinda. You can "archive" a pdm model at any point. An archive appears to be another pdm flat file with a different file extension. Archives allow you to generate changes between versions of the pdm. However, it only works on simple cases. Most of the time I generate a create table script (versus an alter table script) and I manually doctor the script to make the changes.

By keeping the archives you could be said to have some form of version control.

: > . Concurrent development on a single model.

With enterprise this is possible I've found the weak link in the chain to be the ODBC drivers, which seem to consistently lag behind our version of Oracle, causing us to abondon that feature. In the future I plan to set up the SD Dictionary using the Sybase product they package with S-Designor rather than Oracle. I hope this results in fewer problems.

: > . Reverse engineering of an existing database.
It does this nicely... when it works. Once again, I've twice encountered a problem (reverse engineering of garbage constraint values) that I think are caused by ODBC driver problems.

: > . Import of ER/Win files?

        Never Tried.

Hope that helps...

Glenn Burton