Re: Year 2000

From: Lee Levy <levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1996/07/09

In article <31E2ACC7.59EB_at_daac.gsfc.nasa.gov>, Joanne Woytek <joanne_at_daac.gsfc.nasa.gov> says:

>Does anyone know if Oracle is or claims to be year 2000 compliant;
>i.e. when the date is 01/01/00, will all Oracle provided programs
>including internal system routines and application callable routines
>function correctly?
>--
>Joanne Woytek
>joanne_at_daac.gsfc.nasa.gov
>Code 902
>NASA/GSFC
If the date format you are using is DD/MM/RR then Oracle will handle the century for you for this and the next century. ie, anything > 50 is assumed to be 19xx, while anything less than 50 is assumed to be 20xx, and stored appropriately (Cant quote off the top of my head what happens in 50 itself...) We have mandated that ALL 2-digit years shall use the RR format. This works fine for 'current-data' type systems, eg. order-entry. System with long term dates, eg personnel, or anything that stores dates of birth logically MUST use 4-digit years, as birthdates could be in the previous century...

HIH
Lee
** Status Report - 9 days until Maternity Leave, and counting **

  Lee Levy, ISSD Technical Dream Team, Del Code (34)   BHP Information Technology, ACN 006 476 213   PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502, Australia   PH: +61 42 75-5485 Fax: -5500 Tie: 8855-   Internet : levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au

Opinions expressed are mostly my own, so give me some credit. Received on Tue Jul 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message