ANSI SQL

From: Mark I. Gross <mig_at_crl.com>
Date: 1996/07/08

I am somewhat new to the Oracle world but have recently acquired a good deal of experience with the Pro C environment. I have observed that the Pro C compiler takes options to generate both ANSI compliant C code via the code=ansi (not default) and will adhere to SQL ANSI practices by using the mode=ansi instead fo the default oracle. My understanding is that this will be seen in the datatyping of different naming classes. I have written my code to work in both environments although it appears that I have uncovered an Oracle bug in a small fragment of code when the ANSI mode switch is turned on. I don't believe that using the mode=ansi has the far reaching portability ramifications that writing ANSI C code has i.e. the ANSI SQL. Could one of the SQL gurus out there please enlighten me as to the benefits of developing in purely ANSI SQL when using either the Pro C or OCI interface. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that I'll be able to take my .pc files and compile them with Sybase, Informix, Read Brick or any of the other RDBMS vendors compilers and then "plug-and-play". Please send email directly to me and if there is enough interest I'll post to the net.

Thanks,

Mark Gross
mig_at_crl.com Received on Mon Jul 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message