Re: V7: VMS or UNIX ?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/07/08

In article <ry5zq5iz8h4.fsf_at_cygnus.npac.syr.edu> billt_at_npac.syr.edu (Bill Thater) writes:
>In article <4rbiti$qrt_at_dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> cindylh_at_ix.netcom.com writes:
>

>S> Hi everybody ! I'm an Oracle DBA, trained with a VMS platform-- I
>S> noticed that most people here use Unix instead. I'd like to get
>S> your feedback (opinion, anecdotes, etc) on which you think is the
>S> superior system and why. I'm curious to know more about what
>S> people think of the 2 OS, as I'm new to Unix. Thanks a lot!
>
>S> Stephane L Come
>
>out out damed OS warmonger!

Now, how cuddly is that? :)

>--
>| Bill Thater, KiTA, BOfH | Alt.Cuddle's resident cuddleNinja |
>| billt_at_npac.syr.edu | Wherever you go, there you are. |

My opinion is that VMS is more stringently engineered, and so is more predictable. It also requires more training to manage the VMS platform. Having originally been a RSTS/VMS person, then going to unix, I prefer unix. Many VMS people hate unix, until they get used to its idiosyncracies. Some never like it. It is very idiosyncratic.

Since process creation in unix is much faster/vulgar/trivial, it can seem faster to a user. Unix will let you get farther into trouble with an undisciplined program (for example, writing over memory where you shouldn't).

There used to be a big advantage to VMS in the Oracle extents area, but that seems to be going away with the newest Oracle and unices. "Unix" is open to intepretation, so you also have porting issues between unix variants, that you don't have in a single (or dual, if you count early differences between Alpha & VAX) OS environment.

Learn unix, decide for yourself. They are great on Alphas!

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>