Re: Trapped in OPO Debugger

From: Phil Levin <plevin_at_cisco.com>
Date: 1996/07/08

In article <Randy-0607961842220001_at_news.earthlink.net> Randy_at_Pensive.Org (Randall Gellens) writes:
>I must be missing something very simple, but often when running a form in
>design mode, the form vanishes (usually after an error of some kind, or if
>a method calls HideWindow). I am then unable to get back to design
>mode. If I click on the stop execution icon, the debug window closes, but
>I'm in limbo. Under Windows, the windows are there, but greyed out. I've
>searched the manuals and on-line help, but this must be something so basic
>everyone is expected to know it (or I am just missing it) because I can't
>find anything about this. Help!
>
>--
>Randy Gellens "I speak for myself alone" Randy_at_Pensive.Org

Randy,

The following may not be of specific help in your situation, but I have found many situations where OPO Designer "hangs" and I end up rebooting the machine to recover. In my case it occurs often when I manipulate a recordset in some way that OPO does not like and then click the "revert" icon on the toolbar. It's hard to imagine why any develpment system should leave you in the state you describe.

OPO is not robust in certain areas and as a recent thread here has suggested, it may not be ready for prime time. For example, I use the Blaze (pronounced: "blah zay") database and because of its performance, I have to wait up to 60 seconds for some forms to load.

My general advice is that you should learn what particular sequences OPO doesn't like (even though *you* think they should be OK) and avoid them. In your particular case, I don't see why HideWindow() should prevent you from re-entering design mode. Try a trivial case: a window with one button who's click() method is HideWindow().

On the other hand, I think that OPO has tremendous potential and so I am hanging in there until they get to Rev 2.0. By the way, I use 1.0.16 on a Mac.

Good Luck,

/Phil Received on Mon Jul 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message