Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Greg Brooks <brooksg_at_ldl.net>
Date: 1996/07/05

Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> Glenn Nicholas wrote:
> >
> > Borland have produced a detailed paper which compares PB5 and Delphi2.
> > Delphi is a very strong product - Borland claims it outsold PowerBuilder
> > by almost 3 to 1. Once you look into it, I think you will quickly see
> > what all the fuss is about.
> >
> > See www.borland.com/News/techlib/delvsporwr/delvpowr.ht
> ml.
>
> Yes, but Delphi can be used for something other
> than database applications, I would suspect that
> that could account for their 3 to 1 sales. This is
> my same complaint aput Microsoft, exagerating sales
> of VB for client server development by not breaking
> the numbers down. I suspect that if you looked at
> the sales of the Client/Server version on Delphi
> and the Enterprise version of VB compared to PB the
> numbers would be closer or even in favor of PB.
>
> Shawn

Try making a true native executable in PB5 (not P-CODE), then instead of just taking a long lunch break, just take the rest of the day off! Delphi has a decided advantage over PB5 in native machine code compile speed. Also, try to debug PB5 native code in a debugger. PB5 has a code generator that generates unreadable code in temp directory then compiles, and then deletes it.

Don't take this as being defensive, but PB5 has a long way to go. Although, I believe that PB5 is headed in the right direction. Received on Fri Jul 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message