sqlnet and multiple network interface adapters

From: David J DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/07/05

Greetings all;

I'm in the process of reconfiguring our sqlnet network to take advantage of the recent adddition of an fddi interface on 3 of our hosts. We snapshot between 2 of these hosts, and want those snapshots to utilize the fddi interface. The fddi interface can be used by a refernce to an alternate host name which is defined in /etc/hosts. I have used netman to change all the host names which are defined to sqlnet to the fddi host name. I have also changed the mts_listener_address in all my init.ora's to reference the fddi host name. The sqlnet network works just fine except that the traffic is flowing over the ethernet interface and not the fddi interface. We have proven this by monitoring network traffic, as well as by physically disconnecting the ethernet cable, at which point queries to remote databases fail, and once the cable is reconnected they succeeded. Listener tracing would seem to backup the fact that i'm listening on the fddi interface, as the host name/ip address resolution is correct. What i'm wondering about is where/how the actual dispatcher processes get the machine name/ip address which you can see in the output of the "lsnrctl services" command from? Why I'm wondering is because the ip address there is NOT the fddi interface ip address, it is the ethernet interface ip address. What we're speculating here is that the incoming sqlnet request is received on the fddi interface where the listener is listening, he then hands the request off to one of the dispatcher processes who takes care of the communication details, and since his ip address is the ethernet one, the communication that then takes place does so accross the ethernet cable. Does the dispatcher process get the host name and then query the domain name server for the ip address? If so, this would, with our setup, resolve to the non-fddi interface. Has anyone done anything like this? Can anyone tell me how those dispacthers are resolving the hostname/ip address? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance...

--

David J. DeWolfe
Systems Programmer

In a vicious struggle for survival intelligence emerges as the weapon of
 choice. - Nova, In Search of Human Origins