Re: TNS-12538 ..error.. TCP/IP Protocol Adapter

From: Lance Hoover <hooverl_at_pdx.edu>
Date: 1996/07/02

Andrea Omenigrandi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> how can I verify if my Oracle TCP/IP Protocol Adapter is correctly installed
> and configured on the server? (IBM RISC 6000, S.O. AIX Version 3.2,
> Oracle/ Server Release 7.1.4.1.0, PL/SQL Release 2.1.4.0.0)
> I verified that the network connection is OK (I invoked TNSPING on the client),
> can the TCP/IP Protocol Adapter to be bad configured?

With my installation, I have found that a TNS-12538 error means I have a bad pointer to the oracle.ini file. I have added two lines to each client win.ini file (assuming win 3.1):

    [Oracle]
    ora_config=f:\orawin\bin\oracle.ini
If this pointer is missing or pointing to the wrong place, I receive the TNS-12538. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions if it doesn't.

--
Lance Hoover                                        hooverl_at_pdx.edu
Systems Anaylst                                     (503)725-5894