Re: Dates Help!!

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/02

In article <4r9foo$da_at_goodnews.voicenet.com>, clarket_at_voicenet.com (Penn Thomas) writes:
|> I need help with dates and SQL. When I try to write a 'select'
|> statement which calls for the SysDate from 'DUAL' oracle tells me that DUAL
|> does not exist, I had believed that 'DUAL' is preset table which can not be
|> deleted in oracle.

DUAL is a table which is owned by SYS, and SELECT on it is granted to PUBLIC. SQL> desc dual

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 DUMMY                                    VARCHAR2(1)

SQL> select * from dual;

-

I belive that it is created by catproc.sql, or one of the scripts which catproc calls.

|> Also the SQL statement which I am trying to write calls, for the user to enter
|> a date within a program and then for oracle to search for all data between the
|> user's date, and theh 'SysDate', any help on how to write this is greatly
|> appreciated.

You can use the BETWEEN operator for this:

SELECT ...
  FROM ...
  WHERE <date-column> BETWEEN &input_date AND SYSDATE;

|> thanks

You're welcome :)

|> clarke

Scott Urman            Oracle Corporation           surman_at_us.oracle.com
Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2
Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm
"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of
 Oracle Corporation"