Re: Analyzing Schema's--->"SYS", DANGER!!!!!!

From: Vince Cross <bartok_at_nortel.ca>
Date: 1996/07/01

Brian P. Mac Lean wrote:
> =

> Vijay Vardhineni 604-1835 wrote:
> >
> > I tried to use DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA procedure to
> > analyze
> > 'SYS' schema for computing statistics. I issued the following
> > statement from Server Manager (Connected as Internal)
> >
> > EXECUTE DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA('SYS', 'COMPUTE');
> =

> For whatever it=92s worth, I have been through several Oracle classes
> (provided by Oracle) and they have said to never analyze the system
> tablespace tables (sys user). =

Brian is correct. Don't EVER try to analyze the SYS tables. I can think of one really good reason why you should not do this. ANALYZE will completely lock a table for the duration of the analysis. This is not something you want to do to your data dictionary. If I were Oracle, I would put a check in the DBMS_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA procedure that not allow it to run on the 'SYS' schema.

Vince Received on Mon Jul 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message