Re: Comments: RFD: comp.databases.oracle reorganization

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/07/01

In article <4qor7t$16_at_news2.tds.net> Mike Morgan <mike.morgan_at_teldta.com> writes:
>stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU (Steve Cosner) wrote:
>
>>To all in group-advice and comp.databases.oracle:

>>I have run into a roadblock in my attempt to move ahead with the
>>creation of the new group, comp.databases.oracle.dba, rather than a
>>group named comp.databases.oracle.admin. David Lawrence, moderator of
>>news.announce.newgroups, has rejected the RFD due to the choice of the
>>cdo.dba name.
>>-- it is an acronym, and
>>-- it is inconsistent with other names.
>
>-- (snipped text) --
>
>>--The preferable term for Database administration is DBA. In the area
>>of database systems and especially within comp.databases.oracle, dba
>>is a term used and recognized by practically everyone involved, while
>>the administration term is hardly used. While the term DBA is an
>>acronym, it has become practically a word with database workers.
>>
>>To quote some of the comments from the discussion:
>>
>>-- Names such as .misc and .admin were fine when the population was a
>>homongenous bunch of academics and CS researchers who would read a
>>faq, but we have to deal with the general population now. Use
>>English, not obscure English-like terms with special meanings.

Hey! Didn't _I_ write that?

Now I'm wondering if there should indeed be some allowance for the context of the group. As opposed to the general population. But this David Lawrence fellow seems to not grasp the problem at all. All the "standard" netiquette stuff sure doesn't work in misc.jobs.misc. Where the two misc's have different meanings. And the vote for a .discuss failed, probably due to too much spam/noise. Lack of moderation seems doomed to failure, even on clearly named groups. Robomoderation has its own problems.

>Steve,
>
>Anyone interested in NEWS beneath comp.databases who sees a subgroup
>called dba and doesn't know what it means probably shouldn't be there to

Just ask the comp.databases.rdb people how often they have to tell people that RDB is a product, not a generic relational database discussion group. (Now I'm wondering how many people reading this didn't know that? :)

>begin with. Database administrators are common with virtually any
>"brand" of database. I've been a DBA for 12 years and, in our industry,
>DBA is just as common a term/title as a CPA in the accounting field.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense.

>Times and vocabulary change. Stick with dba.

But that doesn't. While it is very clear now what an Oracle dba is and does, that may change radically over time. With the later 7's and Oracle having RDB technology available, it may be sooner than we think. Oracle dba certification notwithstanding.

jg, dba, unix sa, tcetera-ay.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>