Re: Data Junction for Windows?

From: <scraft_at_bigpapa.nothinbut.net>
Date: 1996/06/30

In article <4r12h9$8lu_at_viper.txdirect.net>, Mark Empson wrote:
>I have a Foxpro 2.6 application with several (about 50) tables I need
>to move into Sybase and/or Oracle formats. I have Foxpro 2.6 and
>Visual Foxpro 3.0 but not Sybase or Oracle.
>
>This Data Junction for Windows offer I got in the mail promises to
>convert Fox tables into Sybase and Oracle but I'd like to hear from
>anyone who has used Data Junction (or competitive products) or has a
>better idea how to convert the Foxpro data to Oracle/Sybase. Would I
>need to buy Sybase or Oracle?

I purchased Data Junction 5.0 last September to convert multiple .WK1 worksheets into .DBFs and some mainframe data to the same and to convert some .WKx files into .XLS. v5.0 works, but is rather slow on large operations. However, if you know what you are doing (which I never got around to learning hardcore because I get distracted by a "fire" every 2-3 weeks) you can setup profiles and execute batch processing and the like, so you could set it up to run overnight. I played with the 5.1 beta months ago (because 5.0 didn't do .DIF which was what I really really needed at the time), and the speed wasn't much better, but it was more "PC compatible" than 5.0 was 5.0 used to barf all by itself on itself upon occasion). 5.1 is supposed to be faster though in the full release.

I would recommend you go for it. The package is pretyt slick and if you feel you are going to do a lot of "weird" conversions that FoxPro just won't support (I have a feeling I will be required to do a lot of Access -> .DBF xlating in the near future) natively, then it's definitely worth the price. I think it even comes with something new for report writing or something in some special offer.

--
Respect for the Classics:  IntellivisionTurboGrafx ||"If I came back as a
TurboExpressApple][Amiga1000Atari5200Atari7800Lynx || Dolphin, would you
                                                   || listen to me then?"
Kid (scraft_at_bigpapa.nothinbut.net)                 ||       - O{+>