Re: Wanted MTS information

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1996/06/30

ccisaac_at_mtu.edu (Chuck Isaacson) wrote:

>Everything so far has indicated that the multi threaded server is the way
>to go. Why then doesn't everyone use it and why isn't it the default?

I think that most of the people out there lived long without MTS, and so they see no need to switch to it.

Another point is, to use it you need SQL*Net V2.

>After all it saves memory and there are fewer processes resulting in less
>OS overhead. Is MTS a closely guarded secret?

>We run a mixed environment of forms, cobol, c and report writer. Does anyone
>know why we shouldn't be looking at MTS?

Depends on the type of application.

If you have long running queries or procedures, then MTS will give you no benefit.

For all sort of "short transactions" (e.g. online operations), MTS will save you much memory at the additional cost of the MTS-dispatcher.

>Thanks, Chuck ccisaac_at_mtu.edu

Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet   2:2474/117  2:2474/118
                Mailbox: analog 06297 910104
                         ISDN   06297 910105
                Internet: 0629791010_at_t-online.de
                ->   No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-